Before you can use Unsub to analyze and forecast your subscriptions, you'll need to upload your COUNTER report. This is how Unsub customized its forecasting model to your particular institution.
To start, download a 2019 COUNTER JR1 report from your publisher's portal. A few notes to keep in mind:
- Currently, Unsub only supports COUNTER 4 JR1 reports. Support for COUNTER 5 reports will launch in Spring 2021. If your publisher doesn't allow you to export 2019 data in COUNTER 4 format, you'll need to use 2018 data. This will make forecasting a bit less accurate, but typically not enough to worry about, especially in aggregate.
- Only these file formats are supported: .csv, .xls, and .xlsx
- There can be only one sheet in the file you upload.
Once you've got your COUNTER file, you're ready to upload it. Navigate to the publisher you want to work with, then click the "Setup" tab. In the "Download counts" section, click the "upload button." In the dialog that appears, click "select your file." Select your COUNTER report and click "upload."
The upload and processing will take a minute or two. Once that's done, you'll see something like this:
After errors and irrelevant journals are omitted, this COUNTER file has 1,966 journals in it that will be used for forecasting. You can click on this number to see a list of these journals.
You can can also dig in more deeply to the ignored journals. There are several reasons journals might be omitted from forecasting:
- Rows with input errors: There was something wrong with these rows. You can click on the blue number "3" to see the rows, as well as an explanation of the error. In some cases the error is something you can fix in your spreadsheet, then re-upload. In other cases, the error may be on our end, and you'll need to drop us a line to let us know, so we can fix it.
- Fully Open-Access journals: Since these journals are fully OA, so there's no subscription cost. They're not included in the forecasting model, because there's no decision to make...they will be fully free-to-read, regardless of what else happens.
- Journals no longer published by this publisher. These are omitted from this publisher's forecasting model, since they've changed publishers.
- Journals no longer published at all: These are impossible to subscribe to, so are omitted.
For all these categories, you can click on the little blue number to view a list of all the journals in that category.